Thursday, December 6, 2012

Pay it forward

I love the idea of paying it forward. And when you can be a part of one of these moments, no matter how brief or small, I feel inspired.

There are about 25 people in my office. We sponsored a family of three (mom and two kids) as part of the UB Neighbors in Need holiday giving drive. I offered to be the lead coordinator, so over the past few weeks, we've been collecting money and shopping for presents. I was amazed at people's generosity when it came to giving their money and time. There was no pressure to be a participant but every single person stepped up. One co-worker spent several evenings shopping for the family and would come in each day with yet another thoughtful gift. The picture doesn't do it justice but we had so many presents to give the family by the end of it.

Earlier today, two co-workers and I went to drop off the gifts to the mom. They are living with a relative in a not so great area of Baltimore in a house with no heat ... and prior to that, they were homeless. When we arrived, she was extremely grateful and overwhelmed. Seeing the team effort on behalf of my office to make Christmas possible for a deserving family was truly inspirational.

No comments:

Post a Comment